Thursday, September 29, 2011

Show Must Go On

Dear Reader,

Today I applied for another job--this one as a library tech, not a full "librarian".  I think that's okay.  I don't think DH (dear husband) is as thrilled about it, but at this point if I can just get a decent job--preferably in my chosen area of expertise--I can get my foot in the door.  It doesn't hurt that I know a bit about the area in which the job is located and it would be a pretty nice place to live.  Plus I'd be near my best friend (another limbo-runner, IMO--more on that another time), and my big sister.  All in all not too bad.  There should be plenty of opportunities in that area for DH to get a job (crossing fingers).  He's a computer tech and can do anything from programming to repairs to networks.  So in pretty high demand anywhere there is a decent-sized population.  I'm feeling good about this.  I probably won't get an interview, mostly because it is just a tech job and I'm not from that area. 

There's another sticking point for us young unemployeds.  Many of us are fairly mobile, especially if still single and/or childless.  That means we're pretty flexible when it comes to seeking employment.  Sure, there are some places we'd rather live, but in the bigger picture the job itself is the bigger deal.  We hope that if we can get the work experience now, someday we can move to (or back to) the place we really want to be.  People posting professional jobs are used to hiring out of area and often pay for the trip to interview.  Sometimes they even pay moving expenses.  However, if we try to get professional jobs, we simply don't have enough experience to compete on the level.  So an alternative and one way to get the necessary experience is to get a paraprofessional job and work in it for a while.  If we're lucky, a professional job may eventually open up within the organization and we are then in a better position to move up.  Unfortunately, people hiring paraprofessionals prefer to look within their own area and are not at all interested in paying to import talent.  Consequently applications of job seekers from out-of-town are frequently chucked in the waste bin without serious consideration because who in their right mind would spend hundreds of dollars traveling cross-country to interview for a so-so job?

I would.  Especially if they are in one of my target job-search areas.  And I bet there are plenty of others who would as well.  What about you, Dear Reader?  Would you travel cross-country and foot the bill for a moderate-paying job that you might not even get?

Until next time,
--The Limbo Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment